If you’ve followed my Instagram and/or Twitter, you know that we recently (less than two weeks ago, in fact) got a little kitten, who at the time was only 12 weeks old. We named the little guy Merlin and he is officially the cutest fur ball EVER. He is light orange with tiger stripes and, even though he was very shy at first, he has turned into a very sociable and cuddlesome kitty.
Merlin has already started to recognize his name and about half the time he even listens to the word “NO!” He cried a lot during the first days but now has settled down and accepted that there’s no use running away from the people who provide the food three times a day. He has had his first vaccinations and is a healthy kitten all around.
Things we have learned so far:
- It’s good to have several drinking places because cats don’t always recognize their thirst and might not otherwise drink enough.
- Kittens might seem to completely forget how to walk when you put a harness on for the first time (WARNING: you might actually die of laughter just watching your kitten wobbling around trying to learn how to walk again).
- Milk might actually cause stomach problems for cats.
- Get a climbing/scratching tree as soon as possible if you want to save your furniture.
- Some cats are clearly entertained by the sight of their owner picking up poop from the litter box (maybe it’s a power kick for them).
More updates on Merlin later – that’s guaranteed!