A little update on what I’ve been doing lately:
- Barbecue at our friend Riku’s house: brilliant food (smoked salmon, lamb, salad, etc) and good company!
- Dinner with Ari’s dad and his girlfriend: we went to Helmi Grilli, which is a restaurant at the mall near our house.
- Enjoying the company of our new kitten, Merlin: he’s growing up so fast and it’s a lot of fun seeing all the new things he keeps learning!
- Cycling to the nearest beach: there’s a beach 30 min bike ride away from our house and we have been going there a lot – there’s a café that serves the best salmon soup and pancakes and the water is finally warm enough for swimming!
- Throwing a surprise party to our friend: more about this in the next blog post 😉
If you’ve followed my Instagram and/or Twitter, you know that we recently (less than two weeks ago, in fact) got a little kitten, who at the time was only 12 weeks old. We named the little guy Merlin and he is officially the cutest fur ball EVER. He is light orange with tiger stripes and, even though he was very shy at first, he has turned into a very sociable and cuddlesome kitty.
Merlin has already started to recognize his name and about half the time he even listens to the word “NO!” He cried a lot during the first days but now has settled down and accepted that there’s no use running away from the people who provide the food three times a day. He has had his first vaccinations and is a healthy kitten all around.
Things we have learned so far:
- It’s good to have several drinking places because cats don’t always recognize their thirst and might not otherwise drink enough.
- Kittens might seem to completely forget how to walk when you put a harness on for the first time (WARNING: you might actually die of laughter just watching your kitten wobbling around trying to learn how to walk again).
- Milk might actually cause stomach problems for cats.
- Get a climbing/scratching tree as soon as possible if you want to save your furniture.
- Some cats are clearly entertained by the sight of their owner picking up poop from the litter box (maybe it’s a power kick for them).
More updates on Merlin later – that’s guaranteed!
I thought I’d share with you a few things I learned while taking care of this little kitty mister, Sami, you see lying around here on the carpet. These are things I knew, things I learned and things I wish I knew (because they really freaked me out). Now Sami has gone back to its real owner but we are considering getting our own cat.
- Cats’ nails grow also in girth, not just length, and this cause bits of the nail fall off so that the new nails has room to grow. I didn’t know this and hence thought Sami was ill or hurt when we started finding the outer layers of his nails around the house. Apparently this is one of the reasons why cats claw furniture (so not only the sharpening)
- Their whiskers can fall off as well. So basically your cat can have bits falling from it but it’s not necessarily anything to be alarmed about 🙂
- No matter how you think they won’t be able to jump to the highest of your closets, THEY WILL! It’s kind of insane how agile they are. Amazing jumping abilities…
- Even the cats that seem picky about their food WILL eat if you stick to routines and feed them only at certain times and only proper cat food. Spoiling them rotten will help no one.
- The occasional psychotic attack seems to be completely normal.
- Even the most antisocial cats do enjoy being at least near their humans – not too close, but not too far either!
- Catnip toys will only work for so long! After a while major boredom will ensue.
- Even the chunky and antisocial ones like to show off their bellies (as is proven by the picture above)
As you might’ve seen on Instagram, we have a new addition to our little household: Sami the cat! We don’t know how long we get to keep him but he’s at least for now getting well-adjusted to living with us. Even though sometimes he’s completely daft, he’s also really adorable!
In other news, my boyfriend Ari had his 26th birthday yesterday and we got a celebratory bottle of champagne to share. Otherwise our celebration consisted of a meeting for BTSB. We did have a proper party last weekend though, which was an absolute blast!
http://www.hm.com/fi/product/21514?article=21514-C 29,95 €
Also, I had the pleasure of connecting with an old high school friend yesterday, who is temporarily back from her exchange year in Chile. Before grabbing a coffee with my friend Maria, I went to drool over this blazer. It’d be perfect for job interviews and other meetings that require a bit more professional attire.
It was so great catching up with Maria – it’s hard when one of your best friends is so far away for such a long time! (Btw, go check out her blog about her exchange year experiences here.)
That was my news for now but stay tuned for info on my new article for BTSB as well as some posts about my house/interior design!