Here’s a tribute to those geeky gals of Hollywood who inspire me daily!
1. Alyson Hannigan: This lovely actress first appeared on my radar as Willow Rosenberg, Buffy’s witchy friend on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Those of you who have been following my blog for a longer time might remember that I’m doing my thesis on Willow, which has been a pretty fun experience so far (well, as much fun as a stressful and difficult project like a thesis can ever be). Now Alyson has been entertaining audiences as Lily in How I Met Your Mother. She was also a part of the American Pie movies. Anyone who watches Alyson longer will not be able to resist her charm and contagious smile. She broke ground with Amber Benson in Buffy by showing a loving and long-lasting lesbian relationship on prime-time television.
2. Ellen Page: This funny gal has been in everything from Juno to Inception. She recently took a heroic stand against the pressures of Hollywood and came out as a lesbian. She excels in comedy as well as drama and looks cute as a button. What’s not to like? She’s also a feminist who does yoga and mediates regularly – something to aspire to. I can’t wait to see her in action in the new X-Men movie!
3. Amber Benson: Another member of the Buffy family. Amber portrayed Tara – Willow’s wiccan girlfriend who died tragically and left Willow brokenhearted. Amber is not only a great actress but also a prolific fantasy author with over a dozen books under her belt. She also did a small role in Supernatural – something she has in common with the lovely Felicia Day.
4. Zooey Deschanel: Zooey captured everyone’s hearts in (500) Days of Summer and now keeps us laughing with her portrayal of Jess in New Girl. Some of you might also remember her from things like The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (one of my favorite books!) and Almost Famous. If her last name sounds familiar, it might be because her older sister Emily stars in the hit show Bones. Zooey is also a singer and a song-writer and she sings in many of her movie and television roles. Her huge eyes, signature bangs and penchant for vintage clothing make her even more memorable!
5. Emma Stone: Easy A, The Amazing Spider-man, The Help, and more…Emma Stone is a hilarious comedienne who has shown she’s not afraid of drama and tough issues. The funny redhead has won several awards and is on the way to becoming a superstar. She’s not afraid to be silly and has commendably stayed out of tabloids. Currently dating actor Andrew Garfield, Emma seems to be one of the most down to earth girls in Hollywood.
6. Felicia Day: The ultimate geek goddess. Felicia Day is a true gamer girl and the creator of several web series, the most famous being The Guild, which garnered a huge fan base during its six seasons. She has since appeared as a guest in several episodes of Supernatural and Outlands. And who could ever forget her short but memorable stunt as a potential Slayer in Buffy. Yes, another Buffy alumna. Felicia should be celebrated not only because of her talent but also because of her clear dedication to the geek cause and to her fans. She is a regular in different cons and always clearly excited to be there.